HOTA Gallery is now open and we can’t wait to welcome you! With Australian exclusives, celebrations of Queensland artists, a dedicated Children’s Gallery, special events, artist talks, education programs, never-before-seen works from the City Collection – you’ll find yourself surrounded by art, indoors and out.
HOTA Gallery is open 7 days a week, Sat-Thu 10am-5pm, and Fridays 10am-8pm, make sure you read our FAQS and start planning your visit.
Artists from Paradise
8 May – 4 Jul 2021
HOTA GALLERY | GALLERY 1 AND OUTDOORS | FREE
The new HOTA Gallery’s first-ever major exhibition premieres new works indoors and out, celebrating the diversity, richness, and ambition of the Gold Coast.
CONTEMPORARY MASTERS FROM NEW YORK
Art from the Mugrabi Collection
13 Nov 2021-27 Feb 2022
HOTA GALLERY | GALLERY 1
Exclusive to HOTA Gallery on the Gold Coast comes the world premiere exhibition Contemporary Masters from New York, presenting a selection of works from Andy Warhol to Jeff Koons – artists who revolutionised art in the late twentieth century and beyond.
WORLD UPSIDE DOWN
8 May -10 Oct 2021
HOTA GALLERY | CHILDREN’S GALLERY | FREE
Discover secrets and surprises, where the natural world is not what it seems. Explore how artists see nature, where you can play and splash in digital water and rescue wild animals. Design a future where we all belong, in the first exhibition in the new Children’s Gallery.
Highlights from HOTA’s Collection
Open from 8 May 2021 | PERMANENT
HOTA GALLERY | GALLERIES 2, 3 & 4 | FREE
Showcasing over 100 works from HOTA’s Collection across three galleries HOTA Collects reflects key developments in Australian art over the past 50 years including abstraction, feminist art, Indigenous art, ceramics, and twenty-first-century photography.
18 Sept – 21 Nov 2021
HOTA GALLERY I GALLERY 4 I FREE
For more than 30 years, Energies has provided a platform for local senior secondary visual art students to exhibit their work in a professional gallery setting. Energies alumni boasts acclaimed contemporary artists Michael Candy, Abbey McCulloch, Rebecca Ross and Michael Zavros, all of whom are having their work featured in the inaugural Gallery hang.
Presented in partnership with Gold Coast Visual Arts educators and in consultation with our HOTA Gallery and Visual Arts Education Reference Group, art work is selected from Gold Coast students based upon individual merit and skill.
Energies showcases exemplary student work, best practice for teaching, and supports career pathways and further study into the arts.
The next iteration of Energies will take place over nine weeks 18 Sep – 21 Nov 2021 and we are so excited to welcome the next crop of emerging artists centre stage in our new HOTA Gallery.
Expressions of Interest open in July 2021. Sign up to our Education Newsletter here to hear first.
- Hiromi Tango, New Now 2021. SOLID GOLD: Artists from Paradise, HOTA Gallery. Image courtesy the artist and Sullivan+Strumpf.
- Greg Weight, William Robinson 1994, silver gelatin photograph, 69.7 x 89 cm, Collection, HOTA Gallery. Donated through the Australian Government’s Cultural Gifts Program by Patrick Corrigan AM 2004 © Greg Weight.
- Jean-Michel Basquiat 1985 © Lizzie Himmel. Artwork © Estate of Jean-Michel Basquiat. Licensed by Artestar, New York.
- ArtLab at HOTA, Home of the Arts.
- Richard Bell The (Day) Dreamer 2004, synthetic polymer paint, gravel, and binder on canvas. Donated through the Australian Government’s Cultural Gifts Program by Gary Sands 2017. Image courtesy of the artist and Milani Gallery, Brisbane.